Verizon changes tune on Wi-Fi
Link to the original article on CNN.com
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/biztech/07/28/cnet.verizon.wifi/index.html?iref=mpstoryview
Dear Verizon and any other Broadband company,
I think that it is fantastic that you are getting on board with 4g and trying to split atoms with ridiculous speeds and low latency utilizing the new ipv6... However. DO not forget that there are still millions of people that do not even have access to the simplest of things such as dial-up. I am currently living less than 2 miles outside of a town of 35,000 plus and it also includes a State University that has over 10,000 students a semester, just down the road at less than 10 miles is yet another town of nearly 40,000 and yet another college (2 actually). Yet there is not 3G waves running through the air, there is not DSL available is even half of our town. There are a few entrepreneurs that have tried their best to put up wi-fi towers utilizing a 900Mhz range to really no avail due to our hilly terrain.
Who we are
We are smack dab in the middle of a technological no mans land. But here is what I do find interesting... We are the oldest town in Texas, Nacogdoches county had 60,000 people in the year 2000 (not including the college) and yet we are still lagging behind in technology. I do work for the local municipality and it really puts a strain on what we can do for the community both for learning and for public safety. I called ATT about a month ago (they are our major provider via cell phone) and they told they currently did not have a estimated time line on when they would be able to have 3G available. I love it...
What can we do? Complain? Sure we can try will anyone from these billion dollar companies listen? Probably not these are as you know, the same companies that hire people from India and Pakistan to do their help desk support and robbing our nation of precious jobs that we need right now. Hopefully one day one of them will see the light...
No comments:
Post a Comment